Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Friday Dinner - Lemon 'Chicken' (May 14)

I used Gardein protein to make this dish. Whenever we go to a Chinese restaurant, the kids are always asking for Lemon 'Chicken'. There are no vegetarian/vegan places around here that have this, so I tried my hand at it. I soaked the cutlets in lemon juice for  a few minutes, then dredged them in seasoned four, and pan-fried them. In the same pan, I added 2 T lemon juice, 1/2 cup of water, 2 T nutritional yeast, 1 t. turmeric (trying to get that gaudy yellow color Chinese places manage to impart - not quite there, though), and 2 T arrowroot to thicken. I brought the sauce to a boil and then poured it over the cutlets. The lemon slices were decorations that my children and husband promptly removed. Good thing I only cut them for the picture. The potatoes are Roasted Rosemary Potatoes from Instead of Chicken, Instead of Turkey by Karen Davis. Everyone thought it was very good, but the kids insisted it was too lemon-y. I think the stuff they get at restaurants is too lemon-y.
 Kids and their palates...

4 out of 5 stars

 

2 comments:

  1. Looks yummy :)

    There's a veg restaurant near me called White Lotus who do vegan lemon chicken :D but I don't have it often because the batter is quite oily so not exactly good for me! XD

    vegienoob.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is not fried in a batter, so if you want to give it a try, follow the instructions above; it really is that simple. After you remove the cutlets from the pan, to make the sauce I think I added a few tablespoons of Earth Balance, but that you can adjust to your taste. Otherwise it is pretty much as I wrote above. If you give it a go, let me know if you have any questions; I'll do my best to help out.

    Thank you for your comments!

    ReplyDelete